On Monday, Samsung Electronics said that its most recent flagship smartphone the Galaxy S8 might be delayed due to pledging to enhance its product safety after an investigation into what caused the Note 7 devices to burst into flames.
Ending its probe of months, the top maker of smartphones in the world said that faulty batteries received from a pair of suppliers were to blame for the fires that caused its operating profit to be hit by $5.3 billion.
Samsung’s Koh Dong-jin the chief of the mobile division said that procedures were put into place to avoid the fires from repeating, as the company prepares for its launch of its Galaxy S8, its first premium mobile handset to launch since the problems with the Note 7.
The lessons from the incident are reflected deeply in our process and cultures, said Koh and Samsung will work hard to regain the trust of the consumer.
Koh added that the Galaxy S8, which was planned to be unveiled in Barcelona at the Mobile World Congress, will not be and did not make a comment as to when the planned launch by the company would be, though some believe it will become available for purchase in April.
Investors said that Samsung must reassure consumers that it has been doing all it can relative to the problem with the Note 7 and can be trusted by consumers to fix it.
The reputation of Samsung was hit hard after its announcement of a recall of Note 7s due to being fire prone, only for additional reports to surface that the devices that replaced the faulty Note 7 also were catching fire.
Images of melted devices from Samsung spread all over social media and airlines went as far as banning travelers from bringing them aboard flights.
The handset, which is Samsung’s answer to the iPhone, was taken off store shelves and online sites during October not even two months after being launched, in one of the tech industry’s biggest failures.
Samsung later Monday said it has yet to make a decision as to whether to reuse parts in Note 7s that were recovered or resell any of the phones that were recalled.
One person close to the situation said that reselling some of the Note 7s, as a refurbished phone was a possibility.
The company said that 96% of the more than 3.05 million Note 7s that were sold had been recovered.
This story was originally published by sleekmoney (http://sleekmoney.com) and is the sole property of sleekmoney. If you are reading this article on another website, that means this article was illegally copied and re-published to this website in violation of U.S. and International copyright law. You can view the original version of this story at http://sleekmoney.com/samsung-batteries-caused-fires-in-note-7-possible-delay-for-new-phone/1618741.html
Get Analysts' Upgrades and Downgrades Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of analysts' upgrades, downgrades and new coverage with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.